jueves, 9 de abril de 2009

Ordnance Arms: a quiet place in poshland


29 Ordnance Hill, London, NW8 6PS

St John’s Wood is one of those posh areas in North London you cannot really understand what its purpose is. Not too far away from Central London but not close enough either, and surrounded by several other posh areas like Maida Vale, there is absolutely nothing special about it. Quiet, everybody’s a wasp – more likely a banker than a plumber – and it seems nothing ever happens.

The reason I was over there was I have a friend who works in a school in the area. Add to that the fact that it is on the way to Central London on the Jubilee line from my place, and you get the point about trying a pub close to the station as the Ordnance Arms is. And from the time being, it is by far the best place in St John’s I’ve found until now.

First of all, the place is unpretentious, which is a brilliant point if compared with almost everywhere else in the area. No marbles, no stupidly pricey drinks, no design food. Just a pub that has been taken care about, at least lastly as it seems previous owner was a twat. Now the atmosphere is friendly, and the decoration, if simple, is very effective. I particularly liked a custom tree with lights on its branches that loomed all the place around in a nice way. The design is cute too - the pub has a very pleasant layout, and the furniture is just right for the kind of place it is. The chimney is always an extra point, and the room is big enough to feel pretty comfortable, at least on a weekday when it’s not too stuffed. Maybe on weekends it’s a different matter, but… who cares about St Johns Wood in a weekend, I ask?

On the top of this, they have Sam Smith. Yes, the same Sam Smith they have in Cheshire or Chandos, and I already said what I have to say about it on those posts. Just as a reminder, it is very good, particularly the stout type. And yes, I know, they don’t serve any proper bitter pint, but as I’m not that much for bitter beer lastly, at this point it doesn’t seem to be such a big problem to be honest.



The best point of the place, though, is not the beer but the food. I have not tried it, true, but it looked really good, and at amazingly cheap prizes for that area in London. As soon as they get an outdoor terrace on summer I’m planning to get a proper lunch over there.
I know, this is not an impressive post.

No hay comentarios: