martes, 24 de junio de 2008

Cricklewood's crowning jewel: The Crown


301 Cricklewood Broadway, NW2 3ED

As I've introduced in some post before, I live just between two areas in North West London: Cricklewood and Kilburn. Although I prefer the latter quite more, as it buzzes and offers quite better opportunities for having fun than the former, Cricklewood is not a bad place at all. And it has some interesting pubs as well. The Crown is maybe the best one I've been there until now.

First, a bit of history. The original building was erected on 1750, being called The Crown Inn, and it provided refreshments for coach drivers. The current building origin is dated 1889, and it has suffered several refurbishments and restorations since then.

What does it offer? First of all, an impressive Victorian building. Attached to a modern hotel with the same name, the building is really amazing, specially if you think about the surrounding suburb-like scary shacks built within the last years. The orange bricks create an interesting effect, and it is, without any possible doubt, the most interesting building in Cricklewood Broadway and almost sure the only one that deserves a picture as well.

Second, four different bars. The one on the right in the ground floor is the quiet one, great for having a relaxing pint. The other two on the ground floor are pretty lively, the kind of place you would like to go to watch a football game or having some late pints on a Wednesday nite you feel like an unexpected binge. Finally, the one on the first floor is dedicated to arranged private parties, so I'm not sure what goes on on it. I think they serve cocktails as well, but not too sure.

Third, live music or dj on weekends (check who's playing here), and a fair late opening license (1 am every weekday, 3 am weekends) that makes the crown an instead of clubbing alternate option.

Four, the quality of the food is fine. Menu available here.

Five, there's an eastern europe barmaid really appetizing. Hope my girlfriend's not reading this by the way.

Why it is not the perfect pub? The beer selection in three out of four of the bars is quite poor (nothing really 'british'), the prices are quite high for this area in London (hence it's not a good option for just boozing if you are not taking advantage of the 1.95 quid per foster's pint offer, between 5pm and 7pm) and the food is really expensive. And finally, too many Polish people around for my taste, quite out of control at closing time.

Did I say it was a good way for watching the Eurocup? ;)


David and my brother, enjoying another Spain's national team brilliant performance (I do really can't believe I'm saying this, but I am, indeed!)

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Alex,

queremos fotos en el blog de la celebración del triunfo de España por trafalgar Square!! o en su caso de la tajada que te pillaste.

Alejandro "Carling" dijo...

Si te digo que me dejé la cámara... no me creerías, verdad?